Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Azerbaijan develops and expands existing cooperation with Turkey, the USA, Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy, Pakistan, China, Russia, Iran, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, Georgia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Jordan, Bahrain, France, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Serbia, Croatia, Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia and other foreign nations in the military, military–political and military-technical spheres, as well with the international organizations in various domains on a bilateral and multilateral basis over the years.
The successful military cooperation is carried out through the following main areas of activity:
Defence and security
• security operations (e.g, maritime security, enhancing counter-terrorism capabilities, etc.)
• special operations (strengthening special forces)
• cyber security;
• energy security;
• information security;
• non-combatant evacuation operations;
• conduct exercises;
• airspace security (air and air defence);
Multilateral military cooperation
The Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Azerbaijan implements multilateral cooperation with the armed forces of the strategic partners, in the region and beyond, within the framework of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Georgia, Azerbaijan-Turkey-Pakistan and Azerbaijan-Russia-Kazakhstan in order to ensure regional security, to secure international strategic projects and to contribute to the international security.
Expanding cooperation in the region on the basis of mutual interests through the use of existing tools, respective plan and programs, conducting joint multilateral exercises to enhance interoperability and improve joint operational capabilities among the armed forces, train specialists and students in the military educational institutions on a mutual basis are the key directions of the multilateral military cooperation.
Within the framework of the multilateral cooperation, joint multilateral exercises are conducted in order to ensure mutual activity during the emergency situations and to eliminate impacts of disasters, search and rescue, maritime security, setting up and improve security of oil and gas pipelines as well energy and transport infrastructure.
Bilateral military cooperation
Bilateral military cooperation is implemented between the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan and military-industrial complexes of foreign countries on a bilateral basis. This cooperation should serve to the interests of both parties. Currently, military cooperation is being implemented with about 40 states of the world on a bilateral basis. The methods of the bilateral military cooperation are as follows:
• Cooperation with Armed Forces of foreign countries - is conducted between the Armed Forces of the Republic of Azerbaijan and armed forces or any power structure of foreign states. The annual bilateral military cooperation plan or program is developed, approved and implemented with the country interested in cooperation.
• Strategic military cooperation – is conducted between the Republic of Azerbaijan and its strategic partners on a defence sphere, at the highest level as additional to the cooperation goals with the armed forces of foreign countries in order to achieve the following outcomes:
• mutual protection of parties’ interests at all platforms;
• to identify potential security related threats, and joint activities in fighting against them;
• to make a joint contribution in order to ensure regional and global security and stability;
• collaboration on the implementation of joint projects on the development of defence industry and technology base, as well on the acquisition of supplies and technologies;
• conduct joint exercises;
• conduct military-political consultations between the parties; explore joint fields of interest for promoting mutual interests; discuss; held high-level meetings in order to review the execution status of adopted mutual decisions;
• staff exchange (expert, staff officer, teacher etc.);