First two U.S. troops from North Korean remains will be identified soon: officials

2018/09/1536646390.jpg
Read: 2505     14:11     11 September 2018    

The U.S. military is close to identifying the first two American troops from the 55 boxes of human remains from the 1950-53 Korean War that were handed over by North Korea in July, U.S. officials leading the forensic analysis said on Monday.


“The IDs will be made officially in the next couple of days,” said John Byrd, the director of scientific analysis at the U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. The families of the dead would be notified first, he said.

President Donald Trump’s administration has hailed the handover of the remains as evidence of the success of his summit with North Koran leader Kim Jong Un in June. The White House said on Monday it was looking at scheduling a second meeting.

Critics, however, say the summit has so far failed to deliver on promised steps to get Kim to abandon his nuclear weapons program.

The latest identifications will chip away at the 7,699 U.S. troops who the U.S. military says remain unaccounted for from the Korean War. About 5,300 were lost in what is now North Korea.

A small group of journalists was given access on Monday to a secure facility on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, where forensic anthropologists are combing through the remains handed over by Pyongyang in July.

Byrd and his colleague Jennie Jin, who leads the agency’s Korean War Project, spent more than an hour explaining the painstaking process of identifying the remains, which include methods for finding DNA in bone fragments.

Some bone fragments from the batch handed over in July are as small as a quarter. Others bones have decayed to the point where they are not much longer than a pencil.



Tags:



News Line

First two U.S. troops from North Korean remains will be identified soon: officials

2018/09/1536646390.jpg
Read: 2506     14:11     11 September 2018    

The U.S. military is close to identifying the first two American troops from the 55 boxes of human remains from the 1950-53 Korean War that were handed over by North Korea in July, U.S. officials leading the forensic analysis said on Monday.


“The IDs will be made officially in the next couple of days,” said John Byrd, the director of scientific analysis at the U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. The families of the dead would be notified first, he said.

President Donald Trump’s administration has hailed the handover of the remains as evidence of the success of his summit with North Koran leader Kim Jong Un in June. The White House said on Monday it was looking at scheduling a second meeting.

Critics, however, say the summit has so far failed to deliver on promised steps to get Kim to abandon his nuclear weapons program.

The latest identifications will chip away at the 7,699 U.S. troops who the U.S. military says remain unaccounted for from the Korean War. About 5,300 were lost in what is now North Korea.

A small group of journalists was given access on Monday to a secure facility on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, where forensic anthropologists are combing through the remains handed over by Pyongyang in July.

Byrd and his colleague Jennie Jin, who leads the agency’s Korean War Project, spent more than an hour explaining the painstaking process of identifying the remains, which include methods for finding DNA in bone fragments.

Some bone fragments from the batch handed over in July are as small as a quarter. Others bones have decayed to the point where they are not much longer than a pencil.



Tags: