Netanyahu convenes urgent meeting with military after missile attack on Tel Aviv

2019/03/1068220125-1552599105.jpg
Read: 352     10:19     15 March 2019    

Earlier in the day, Israeli media reported that at least two missiles had been fired from the Gaza Strip toward the Tel Aviv area and that air raid sirens were triggered in the city. The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) confirmed that air raid sirens in Tel Aviv had sounded for the first time since summer 2014.


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has convened an urgent meeting with senior military officials in order to plan the response to the recent attack, AP reports.

The Israeli military said that the attack marked a significant escalation that raised the likelihood of a harsh Israeli reprisal. It alleged that Palestinian militants had launched the missiles from the Gaza Strip, AP reports.

Ronen Manelis, the Israeli army's chief spokesman, said officials had no prior warning of the attack and were trying to determine who fired the rockets, as cited by AP. Israel holds Gaza's Hamas rulers responsible for all fire out of the territory.    

Hamas' armed wing denied responsibility for the missile attack.

Late on Thursday, two missiles were purportedly fired from Gaza. Local media reported that there were sounds similar to those of an explosion near Tel Aviv.

An Israeli military spokesman cited by Reuters said the incident was under investigation. 

According to media reports, one rocket was intercepted by the anti-missile Iron Dome system, while another landed in an uninhabited area. There are no reports of injuries. 

So far no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to AP.

Tensions between the Israelis and the Palestinians near the Gaza border have been mounting since last March.Tel Aviv blames Hamas for the animosity of Gazans towards Israel as well as for arson balloons being launched over the Gaza border.

Sputnik



Tags:



News Line

Netanyahu convenes urgent meeting with military after missile attack on Tel Aviv

2019/03/1068220125-1552599105.jpg
Read: 355     10:19     15 March 2019    

Earlier in the day, Israeli media reported that at least two missiles had been fired from the Gaza Strip toward the Tel Aviv area and that air raid sirens were triggered in the city. The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) confirmed that air raid sirens in Tel Aviv had sounded for the first time since summer 2014.


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has convened an urgent meeting with senior military officials in order to plan the response to the recent attack, AP reports.

The Israeli military said that the attack marked a significant escalation that raised the likelihood of a harsh Israeli reprisal. It alleged that Palestinian militants had launched the missiles from the Gaza Strip, AP reports.

Ronen Manelis, the Israeli army's chief spokesman, said officials had no prior warning of the attack and were trying to determine who fired the rockets, as cited by AP. Israel holds Gaza's Hamas rulers responsible for all fire out of the territory.    

Hamas' armed wing denied responsibility for the missile attack.

Late on Thursday, two missiles were purportedly fired from Gaza. Local media reported that there were sounds similar to those of an explosion near Tel Aviv.

An Israeli military spokesman cited by Reuters said the incident was under investigation. 

According to media reports, one rocket was intercepted by the anti-missile Iron Dome system, while another landed in an uninhabited area. There are no reports of injuries. 

So far no one has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to AP.

Tensions between the Israelis and the Palestinians near the Gaza border have been mounting since last March.Tel Aviv blames Hamas for the animosity of Gazans towards Israel as well as for arson balloons being launched over the Gaza border.

Sputnik



Tags: