NATO 'Bombed' Libya's Statehood - Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov

2020/01/1578987968.jpg
Read: 879     12:33     14 January 2020    

Earlier this day, the Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed that Libyan National Army (LNA) leader Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar had left Moscow without signing a ceasefire agreement with the head of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez al-Sarraj, Defence.az reports citing Sputnik.


Commenting on the failure to reach a ceasefire agreement between Libyan Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and the UN-backed government, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Libya's statehood had been destroyed by NATO.

"If Libya could become 'a second Syria', I believe the Libyan people will benefit from this. Unfortunately, there is no statehood in Libya so far," Lavrov said at a press conference, held after talks with Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena.
"The Libyan statehood was bombed by NATO in 2011, and we are still facing the consequences of this illegal, criminal escapade, the Libyan people first of all," Lavrov said.

The Russian foreign minister noted the need to urge the conflicting parties in Libya to negotiate instead of resorting to using force.

On Monday, Haftar met with Libya's internationally recognised prime minister, Fayez Sarraj in the Russian capital for talks mediated by Russia and Turkey. That day, Lavrov said that Haftar had asked for a little extra time to look at a draft ceasefire agreement between Libya’s conflicting sides.

However, early this morning, it was announced that Haftar had left Moscow without signing a deal.

On Assassination of Soleiman
According to the Russian foreign minister, the assassination of Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp’s Quds Force, was the culmination of US illegal actions.

Soleimani, 62, was killed in Baghdad on January 3 when the convoy he and a senior Iraqi Shia militia leader were riding in was struck by a US Reaper drone.

Donald Trump ordered the strike without seeking the approval of Congress, which is normally required in such cases.

Trump and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have claimed, citing undisclosed intelligence, that Soleimani was planning attacks on US embassies, creating the impression that he was posing a threat to US security. 



Tags:



News Line

NATO 'Bombed' Libya's Statehood - Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov

2020/01/1578987968.jpg
Read: 880     12:33     14 January 2020    

Earlier this day, the Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed that Libyan National Army (LNA) leader Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar had left Moscow without signing a ceasefire agreement with the head of the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez al-Sarraj, Defence.az reports citing Sputnik.


Commenting on the failure to reach a ceasefire agreement between Libyan Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and the UN-backed government, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Libya's statehood had been destroyed by NATO.

"If Libya could become 'a second Syria', I believe the Libyan people will benefit from this. Unfortunately, there is no statehood in Libya so far," Lavrov said at a press conference, held after talks with Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena.
"The Libyan statehood was bombed by NATO in 2011, and we are still facing the consequences of this illegal, criminal escapade, the Libyan people first of all," Lavrov said.

The Russian foreign minister noted the need to urge the conflicting parties in Libya to negotiate instead of resorting to using force.

On Monday, Haftar met with Libya's internationally recognised prime minister, Fayez Sarraj in the Russian capital for talks mediated by Russia and Turkey. That day, Lavrov said that Haftar had asked for a little extra time to look at a draft ceasefire agreement between Libya’s conflicting sides.

However, early this morning, it was announced that Haftar had left Moscow without signing a deal.

On Assassination of Soleiman
According to the Russian foreign minister, the assassination of Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp’s Quds Force, was the culmination of US illegal actions.

Soleimani, 62, was killed in Baghdad on January 3 when the convoy he and a senior Iraqi Shia militia leader were riding in was struck by a US Reaper drone.

Donald Trump ordered the strike without seeking the approval of Congress, which is normally required in such cases.

Trump and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have claimed, citing undisclosed intelligence, that Soleimani was planning attacks on US embassies, creating the impression that he was posing a threat to US security. 



Tags: